The “Structure State” has over 180 lakes and hundreds of miles of streams and rivers stuffed with thrilling fish species. There’s the Farmington and Housatonic Rivers, Lake Waramaug and Candlewood Lake, the Lengthy Island Sound, and plenty of different spots all through the state the place you may catch something from Trout to Flounder. In an effort to totally get pleasure from them, although, you’ll want a legitimate Connecticut fishing license.
On this information, we cowl all the pieces it’s worthwhile to find out about sportfishing licenses in Connecticut. You’ll be taught in regards to the various kinds of permits, the distinction between licenses for residents and guests, the place and tips on how to get your license, and whether or not there are exceptions to the rule (there all the time are).
In case you’re in search of information on neighboring states, or across the US normally, try our full checklist of licensing guides right here.
Who wants a fishing license in Connecticut?
All anglers aged 16 and older want to purchase a Connecticut fishing license with a purpose to legally fish within the state. There are, after all, exceptions to this rule, however extra on that within the following sections.
All of the license charges go to the Bureau of Pure Assets to assist the DEEP’s varied conservational and academic packages. A few of these embrace land acquisition for conservation and fishing entry, rearing and stocking of Trout, restoration of migratory fish species, and rather more. Be at liberty to be taught extra about it here.
Forms of Connecticut Fishing Licenses
The state gives a number of license varieties for each resident anglers and guests, in addition to members of armed forces and anglers with disabilities. You’ll be able to select from contemporary and saltwater licenses or buy an all-purpose license if you happen to’re planning to fish the coastal waters and a few of Connecticut’s rivers, lakes, and ponds.
Right here’s a listing of the preferred Connecticut fishing licenses:
- All waters. That is an all-purpose fishing license that means that you can discover each salt and freshwater fisheries.
- Marine. In case you’re planning to fish saltwater completely, you’ll solely have to buy this sort of license.
- Inland. Such a CT fishing license is just like the marine one, solely it means that you can fish freshwater.
- Brief length. A brief-duration license is ideal for individuals who are on the town for simply a few days. Guests can buy a 3-day license for both inland or marine waters.
- Mixture licenses. The state gives mixture licenses for hunters and fishermen who need to mix the most effective of each worlds with out shopping for every license individually.
- Trout and Salmon Stamp. This stamp is non-obligatory, nonetheless, you’re required to have it if you happen to plan to reap Trout and Salmon or fish in one among these designations: Trout Administration Space, Wild Trout Administration Space, Trout Park, or Atlantic Salmon Administration Space. You’ll be able to be taught extra in regards to the stamps here.
All anglers underneath the age of 16 can buy a Youth Fishing Passport. This isn’t a fishing license, since youthful anglers aren’t required to have one, nevertheless it provides the prospect to get a lifetime Conservation ID and participate in varied fishing actions designed for them by the state of Connecticut.
Info for Residents
You’re thought of a Connecticut resident if you happen to:
- Are domiciled in Connecticut for all the tax yr
- Maintained a everlasting place of dwelling in Connecticut and spent greater than 183 days within the state
Senior Connecticut residents aged 65 and over are eligible for a particular Resident Inland Fishing Senior Citizen license, which is freed from cost however must be renewed yearly. There’s a 50% low cost for any fishing license for all resident anglers aged 16 and 17, too.
Prices for Residents
As we talked about above, there’s a 50% low cost for 16 and 17-year outdated residents for all sorts of licenses and the Trout and Salmon Stamp. Check out the desk beneath that reveals all of the obtainable choices for Connecticut residents.
|Resident License Sort||Age||Value|
|Inland Fishing||16 and 17||$14.00|
|All Waters Fishing||18-64||$32.00|
|All Waters Fishing||16 and 17||$16.00|
|Marine Waters Fishing||18-64||$10.00|
|Marine Waters Fishing||16 and 17||$5.00|
|1-Day Marine Fishing||18-64||$5.00|
|1-Day Marine Fishing||16 and 17||$3.00|
|Trout and Salmon Stamp||18+||$5.00|
|Trout and Salmon Stamp||16 and 17||$3.00|
Info for Non-Residents
As a non-resident, you’re not eligible for sure sorts of licenses and reductions. Nevertheless, you continue to have some choices to select from, together with Season All Waters and 3-Day varieties, which aren’t obtainable for the residents.
If you’re an energetic, full-time member of the armed forces, you should buy your Connecticut fishing license for the resident charge.
Prices for Non-Residents
Right here’s an summary of all of the guests’ fishing licenses on supply in Connecticut. Relying on the place and the way lengthy you’d wish to fish, the worth will change.
|Non-Resident License Sort||Value|
|Season-All Waters Fishing||$63.00|
|3-Day Inland Fishing||$22.00|
|Marine Waters Fishing||$15.00|
|3-Day Marine Waters Fishing||$8.00|
|Trout and Salmon Stamp (16+)||$5.00|
|Armed Forces Inland Fishing||$28.00|
|Armed Forces Marine Fishing||$10.00|
Who can fish with no license?
There are some classes of anglers who don’t have to pay for his or her fishing licenses, however will nonetheless have to get one. The one exception right here is the Free Fishing Days, the place anybody can fish with no allow.
Right here’s a listing of all of the obtainable choices:
- Intellectually Disabled or Blind. With proof of incapacity supplied by a licensed specialist in CT, blind anglers or these with an mental incapacity can buy a free license for Inland or Marine waters.
- Bodily Disabled. Any CT resident or customer* with the lack of a limb or the lack of the usage of a limb and a health care provider’s certificates can get a Connecticut contemporary and/or saltwater fishing license freed from cost. Certified non-residents who’re from states which permit CT residents the identical privileges are additionally eligible.
- Senior Lifetime Fishing License. All residents aged 65 and over can get a free fishing license for Inland and Marine waters. Most often, a Trout and Salmon stamp remains to be essential if you happen to’re planning to reap these species or fish for them in one of many 4 Trout and Salmon areas.
- License Reciprocity. Residents of Maine, Massachusetts, New York, or Rhode Island who possess a saltwater license can use it to fish in Connecticut’s marine district.
- Free Fishing Days. Every year, two dates are designated as a “free fishing license day,” out of which any angler can select one and fish license-free.
*For residents of states that permit the identical privileges for CT residents
The place to Purchase Your Connecticut Fishing License
Because of the Covid-19 outbreak, DEEP places of work are closed to the general public. Nevertheless, you should buy your fishing license and stamps by way of the net portal, in addition to from retail brokers and plenty of city clerks. In case you’re unable to print your license, be sure you have a duplicate able to be displayed in your cellular system.
Right here’s how one can get your Connecticut fishing license and stamps:
All Connecticut contemporary and saltwater fishing licenses are legitimate for the calendar yr and expire on December 31.
In case you bought your CT fishing license by way of the net portal, you may reprint it. Go online together with your CT Conservation ID, final identify, and date of start, and click on the hyperlink for reprinting on the highest proper of the web page. In case you acquired your license from a vendor, be happy to ask them to reprint it for you.
You may get your Youth Fishing Passport by way of the DEEP On-line Sportsmen Licensing System with parental/guardian permission or by cellphone (860-424-3474). For extra data, please go to the Youth Fishing Passport page.
Nonetheless have questions on getting your fishing license in Connecticut? Get in contact together with your native Division of Power and Environmental Safety workplace. You can even go away us a remark beneath. Now it’s time to seize your license and fishing deal with, discover a information close to you, and begin fishing!