Flat-sided crankbaits begin to excel for bass as winter provides option to early spring — principally, the onset of a warming development that units off the prespawn. For Ott DeFoe, this seasonal transition means buying and selling small balsa crankbaits just like the Shad Rap for greater flat sides.
DeFoe goes into nice element on when, the place, and learn how to fish “flat sides.” Particularly, he discusses learn how to work the bait primarily based on water temps and make the best casts potential primarily based on the financial institution angle. With a lure design resume and some crankbaits in his title (assume Rapala’s OG Slim 6 and OG Tiny 4), there’s one thing for all of us to achieve. *Sort out and kit itemizing under.
Ott’s 7 ideas for maximizing success with flat-sided crankbaits:
- Head shallow and canopy water. The onset of the prespawn is marked by an upward development in water temperatures, with bass repositioning by spreading out in shallower water. Flat-sides are the best software for protecting water and finding the place and the way bass are arrange. Their flat physique form makes them extra refined, a plus in cool water, but their profile is extra outstanding, a profit when concentrating on high quality prespawners.
- Make backside contact. Consider a flat-side crankbait as a transferring, backside contact bait. You’re going to catch much more bass if the lure is in fixed contact with the underside, or involved with cowl comparable to brush or laydowns (learn bullet 5).
- Make semi-parallel casts to the financial institution. DeFoe maximizes protecting a spread of depths whereas sustaining backside contact on a single solid by studying the financial institution angle and positioning his boat accordingly. For a typical 6- to 7-foot diving flat-side, this implies making a protracted semi-parallel solid down a 45-degree financial institution, touchdown the bait in 2 toes of water, and reeling again to the boat positioned in 7- to eight toes of water.
- Regulate your retrieve velocity primarily based on water temperature. Experiment, however usually, reel slower in colder water and velocity up as water temperature will increase.
- Range your cadence. DeFoe retrieves the bait with a mixture of pauses, pulls, and straight retrieves to set off bass. It’s nearly like working a jerkbait in chilly water, though, on the underside. Should you’re fishing it round brush, worm it by together with your rod tip up, feeling, and feathering about as you go.
- Use a basic crankbait setup. A medium to medium-heavy energy rod with a slower or average taper is perfect for hooking and preserving bass buttoned. DeFoe prefers a reel within the 6.8:1 vary, as he can throttle his retrieve velocity down or up with most management. Fluorocarbon starting from 12-14 pound take a look at, and even as much as 17-pound take a look at round heavy cowl will get it achieved.
- Search hotter water. Prespawn bass are extraordinarily water temperature delicate. Regulate your water temp readout and on the land. Tributary water sources comparable to “run-ins” in highland reservoirs are sometimes a couple of levels hotter, particularly after a heat rain.
Take a look at this roundup video for extra spring bass lure suggestions.